Monday 4 November 2013

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday no 138: Inlaid Die-cuts.

I am joining in the Papertrey Ink Make It Monday challenge for the first time this week. Betsy Veldman has a great video tutorial here http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/2013/10/make-it-monday-138-insert-intro-paragraph-insert-video-insert-still-photos-if-you-are-joining-along-.html where she shows how to inlay die cuts to make cards which are easy to post. I was inspired to dig out my Papertrey stamps and dies and give the technique a try.

I chose the "Wonderful Words: Birthday" stamps and die, together with the small "friend" stamp from "Friends 'til the End" to make a colourful ombre style card.




I started by die cutting the birthday word out of four complementary colours of Papertrey Ink cardstock. I chose Aqua Mist, Spring Moss, Hawaiian Shores and Simply Chartreuse card and then stamped each word with the matching stamp in their corresponding ink colours. Then I took some smooth white card and die-cut the word birthday again four times, making sure that I lined them all up so that they were evenly spaced. The white words were removed and saved for another project then I turned over the card with the negative spaces and applied wide tape over the holes (I used normal packing tape for this). The card was then turned face up again and each hole was filled with one of the coloured words - starting with the lightest shade and the top and progressing to the darkest at the bottom. I had saved all the fiddly little insert pieces from the white card and painstakingly replaced them all inside the coloured words so that the background was entirely white. This took me ages but was well worth the effort I think, as the words really pop.

I used the matching ink pads to stamp the words "happy", "to you" and "friend" next to the inlaid die - cuts. The idea is that you sing the sentiment rather than read it as it's the words to the Happy Birthday song! I matted and layered the white card onto a rectangle of Hawaiian Shores cardstock and stuck that to a Limeade Ice card base. Finally I added sparkly rhinestones in four toning colours to add a little birthday bling!

This was a lovely technique to use - why don't you give it a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!