Sunday 23 March 2014

Cure for the Monday Blues #9

Over on Taheerha Atchia's blog  there is a Monday challenge running - you can check it out here  http://littlemisst-papercraft.blogspot.com/2014/03/cure-for-monday-blues-challenge-9.html  .
Challenge #9 is based on the following photograph -
 
 
 
 
I decided to start with a 5" x 7" landscape card blank and added a layer of PTI Pure Poppy card. Then I took a slightly smaller panel of the off-white card (I cut up another card blank to make sure it matched) and added a strip of brown stripey paper (the reverse side of Fields of Flowers from Graphic 45's Botanical Tea collection) to the lower half, to mimic the stripey cushions on the bed. I used my small imperial Score Pal board to score along the top half of the card at half inch intervals - I thought that this looked a little like the wood panelling in the above photo.  Next I added a strip of blue card (PTI's Spring rain card), a narrower strip of the off - white card and a length of red cord, echoing the piped bedding in the inspiration photo. 

Please click on the photo to enlarge it for a better view.


For the main image I used the largest die from the JustRite Custom Die Templates JB - 10025 Nested Oval Medallion Label Dies, which I cut from some of the blue card. The map border image and sailing ship from the Anchors Away stamp set by JustRite (CR - 03710) were then stamped using Rich Cocoa Memento dye ink. I coloured the narrow band around the edge with a Festive Berries Distress Marker to match the piping again and the rope circle was coloured with a Picket Fence Distress Marker (matching the white lifesaving ring in the inspiration photo). The centre panel was then mounted onto the card with foam pads for added dimension. I stamped the small circular anchor motif from the same stamp set onto a scrap of Pure Poppy red card using Memento Espresso Truffle dye ink, cut it out and added it to the card with a foam dot - I was thinking about the red circular item on the bedside table in the inspiration photo at the time. The sentiment is from the Waltzingmouse Stamps Compact Sentiment set and was stamped onto some of the red card with the same Espresso Truffle Memento ink. I trimmed the red card to mimic the shape of the red rug in the bottom left of the inspiration photo, stuck it onto the card and it was finished!

I am really pleased with the finished card as I think it's a reasonable interpretation of the photo provided and looks suitably nautical. I shall be sending this to a former colleague who will be starting a new job soon - I hope he likes it!

2 comments:

  1. Lynn I am so glad that the inspiration worked for you in the end - this card is absolutely gorgeous and works so well with the inspiration photo! Great colours and perfect composition and I love that boat! I so hope you will play again soon! This is so super-fun and packed with so many great details!! Love your bright tag with that cute little boat and life preserver, and your patterned paper is awesome, as are your waves!! Thanks so much for playing to find a Cure For The Monday Blues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am sure your friend will love his card - so difficult to do men cards but you have achieved it with this one certainly.
    Sorry I won't see you at PS - can I have your snail addy please.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!