Saturday 12 April 2014

Newton's Nook Inky Paws Challenge #8

Firstly I must say a huge thank you to Jennifer at Newton's Nook, as I was chosen as one of the lucky winners in their March release blog hop and was sent the lovely "Basket of Wishes" stamp set. I discovered that they were running a sketch challenge on their blog here http://www.newtonsnookblog.com/2014/03/inky-paws-challenge-8-sketch-challenge.html  and I decided to enter three cards, all using the new stamps that they kindly sent me.
 
Here is the sketch provided for challenge #8.
 
My first card uses the cute Easter basket, with Newton the cat snuggled up amongst eggs and a little bunny. I stamped the images (the basket bases and tops are all separate stamps, giving dozens of possible variations) and sentiment using Memento Tuxedo Black ink onto a circle die cut with one of the Spellbinders eyelet circle dies. I coloured the image with Copic Ciao markers and layered it onto a pink card circle which I'd cut using a Spellbinders lacey circle die.

 
 I cut some lemon yellow and Aruba blue Core'dinations card into rectangles slightly smaller than my 5" x 7" white card blank, then sliced them diagonally. I took one piece of each colour and embossed them both with a Darice embossing folder, sanded them to reveal the paler core and mounted them to the card with double sided tape. I covered the seam with a length of pretty striped ribbon and added the stamped panel using foam pads.


My second card uses a similar card blank and the remaining two pieces of  Core'dinations card, but this time I embossed the blue portion with musical notes and the yellow portion with pretty flowers. Two narrow strips of the same card were used as the diagonal "ribbon" - all added with double sided tape.
 
The basket of flowers, little bird and musical notes were all stamped using Memento Rich Cocoa dye ink onto a circle of white card which I'd cut using a Spellbinders teardrop die. Again the images were coloured using Copic Ciao markers and then added to the card with foam pads.
 
 
My final card uses a smaller, 4" x 6" cream card blank, a layer of Papertrey ink "Ocean Tides" card and two pretty, muted patterned papers from Docrafts Papermania "Home to Nest" collection. Where the papers joined I covered the seam with a length of Walnut seam binding and added a small bow. The gardening basket and sentiment were stamped onto a circle of cream card using Memento Tuxedo Black dye ink and again I coloured the image with Copic Ciao markers - this time using more subtle colours. I also stamped the top part of the basket onto a scrap of the Ocean Tides card and fussy cut the pair of gardening gloves, sticking them to the card with a dab of glossy accents. 

 
As the Newton's Nook stamps are made from clear photopolymer I was able to slightly bend the sentiment so that it curved around the top of the cream circle. I added a scalloped layer of the Ocean Tides card, cut with another Spellbinders die and used foam pads to mount the panel onto my card. I think that this one would be suitable to give to a man as the colour scheme is quite muted.
 
I really enjoyed playing with my new stamps! There are two more basket filler images and several sentiments that I haven't used here, so I shall be making some more of these cute cards in the near future. Thanks again to Newton's Nook and thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Lynn- These cards so very fun! Thank you so much for playing along with our Inky Paws Challenge! I'm so glad you are enjoying your stamps! I really love the fun spring colors and embossed papers on the first two cards! The garden card is so nice too, with more of an Earthy feel! Great coloring on all 3!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!