Monday 7 April 2014

Papertrey Ink Make It Monday #158: Stamping With Watercolor Mediums.

Last week on the Papertrey ink blog   http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/make-it-monday/  Heather Nichols did a video showing how to use different mediums like Faber Castell Gelatos to stamp and obtain pretty watercolour effects.
 
I had been lucky enough to get some Gelatos for a Christmas gift last year and hadn't tried them out, so this seemed like the ideal opportunity! I needed to make two Sympathy cards, so I selected the beautiful Meadow Greens stamp set, two white 6" x 4" card blanks, some Bockingford 140lb watercolour paper and some Simply Chartreuse and Plum Pudding coloured card.
 
I started by lightly misting the watercolour paper with water, then added a very small amount of Cotton Candy Gelato and used a brush to fade it out as a background wash. Then I applied Grape Gelato directly to the flower head stamp and misted it with water before stamping onto one of the cards. I reapplied the Grape Gelato to the stamp and this time tried brushing over it with a waterbrush before stamping onto the other card. I switched to Pistachio Gelato and continued in the same way, stamping the flower head stalks, the stems and then the leaves (to which I also added a little Green Tea Gelato for shading). When the paper had dried I stamped the sentiment using black dye ink - as you can see from the photo below I tried placing the sentiment in different areas on each card, but I'm still not sure which I prefer.  
 

I layered the watercoloured panels onto Plum Pudding card and then onto Simply Chartreuse card, before adding them to the card blanks. I decided not to embellish them any further and to let the stamped images be the centre of attention. You can see that there is a difference in the stamping on each card, depending on whether I spritzed or brushed on the water - but I am happy with them both and will definitely use this technique again in the future.

It's my birthday today, so some of the family are taking us out for lunch to celebrate. As I plan to have a cheeky glass of wine I'm glad that I made these cards beforehand! Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!