Tuesday 2 February 2016

Colour Mixing Wheel

Welcome back to my third post today! Here I am sharing the results of a colour mixing exercise which I've done as part of the current Watercolour Online Card Class.


I transferred the colour wheel chart onto Bockingford 140lb Cold Pressed watercolour paper using pencil and black Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens. The India ink in these pens is waterproof and is therefore perfect for painting without the ink bleeding. Once again I chose to use Winsor and Newton Professional grade watercolour paints in three Primary colours - Rose Madder, Aureolin and Cobalt Blue (see the largest circles on the chart below). These colours were then mixed in pairs,  in equal proportions, to obtain the secondary colours (indicated by the medium sized circles on the chart below). Further mixing of the primary and secondary colours yielded the six tertiary colours (as shown in the smallest circles below).The central brown colour is a combination of all three primary colours.




Finally I tried mixing complimentary colours together (opposite each other on the colour wheel) to achieve neutral tones of browns and greys. Again it was fascinating to see how my own paints reacted and the wide range of colours that were achievable.

Thanks for looking and I hope that I've inspired you to get out your paints and try this yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!