Tuesday 2 February 2016

Watercolour Glazing Chart

Hello! This is my second post today regarding Watercolour painting exercises for the current Online Card Class.
This post focuses on the (new to me) technique of paint glazing. I chose to use Winsor and Newton Professional grade watercolour paints for this exercise, due to their translucent nature. I started by transferring the glazing chart supplied onto Bockingford 140 lb Cold Pressed watercolour paper using pencil and black Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens. The India ink in these pens is waterproof and therefore ideal for painting without the ink bleeding. The entire chart was painted using only three Primary colours - Rose Madder, Aureolin and Cobalt Blue. I started by painting two vertical columns red, two yellow and two blue. When these were fully dry I over painted the second column of each colour with one of the other primary colours as indicated. This produced three secondary colours as shown below.


I made sure that the paint was all thoroughly dry before proceeding to paint the horizontal stripes in the same manner. You can see the finished glazing chart below. All the variations in colour were achieved by layering just the three primary colours in different combinations. I found this a really interesting exercise to see what a wide range of colours could be made from using only red, yellow and blue. Of course, different shades of these three colours, together with various ratios of paint to water, would yield infinite combinations of colours - I can't wait to experiment some more!


Thanks for looking,

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!